Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Hell On the Battleground (1988)


This is still another David A, Prior cheapie about the Vietnam War, but this one has zero Vietnamese in it. Instead, our heroes are fighting Russians, for reasons inadequately explained. Two veterans (Ted Prior is one) are leading a troop of newbies when they get ambushed and then it's just fight scenes to the end. For more unexplained reasons, the heroes' wives are along for the trip. If endless drawn-on muzzle flashes and the required helicopter explosion aren't enough, Big Bill Smith narrates poetry about the heroes that he apparently extemporizes. There is also a distracting soundtrack, editing that suggests the film is missing entire scenes (it has a suspect short run time) and a high 1980's perm/mullet/mustache factor. It's poor even by Prior standards, but not his most entertainingly bad.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, This is one of the stars from this film. It was a crazy film, but we had a blast making it. I made 2 great friends on this project. I fondly recall my last scence in the film where I take on the enemy army with my rocket launcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That WAS the best scene. Good to know someone has set Google Alerts for this film's title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been told that by other viewers as well. Props to you my friend. I am currently in rehersals for my next film about space exploration.Have a great summer.

      Delete