Monday, March 19, 2018

Existo (1999)


That's Jim Varney, covered in oatmeal.
I may need to take another break from reviewing, because I'm getting to the point where I hate the films I'm watching, the people who watch these things (especially those who recommend them) and writing about them. That's a lot of things to hate.

This film was made by the people behind Jim Varney's "Ernest" films and has Varney in a scene where he strips down, gets covered in oatmeal, screams at people and gets shot in the eye... as performance art. The idea of the film is that art has been outlawed and only the true subversive will go public with their artistry and there's an attempt to overthrow the powers that be through shocking people. There's bad musical numbers, poor humor, nearly random weirdness and nearly continuous narration of anti-conservative invective (I happen to be a liberal myself, but of the "stop being so annoyingly annoyed and DO something" variety). This has some very enthusiastic support from a few people who think it's like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," but that's like comparing "Ernest Scared  Stupid" to "Harold and Maude."



No comments:

Post a Comment