Friday, May 30, 2014

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)

How bad is it? It's good - certainly above average.
Should you see it? Yes.

Why am I covering a good movie? Well, if you watch enough bad movies, someone will say to you, "Have you seen 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra?'"

There have been attempts since the 1980's of making intentionally bad movies, but with a few exceptions, I don't care for them. This film is rather an homage to the bad movies of the 1950's and a very good one at that. It manages to milk a joke to the point that you're about to get annoyed and then moves on to something else. There's some incredible dialogue; the line that will probably be best remembered: "I'm a scientist. I don't believe in anything." The aliens get baffled, hilariously, by steps and doors. The skeleton of the title has all the parts visible that hold it together and a close-up of the alien weapons shows them to be caulking guns. The monster the aliens are transporting (for unexplained reasons) - and of course lose - is a terrible rubber suit. The direction, acting and cinematography are all quite good in supporting a script that has a forest ranger saying "I'm a forest ranger. I sure hope someone needs my help today."

No comments:

Post a Comment