Thursday, October 26, 2017

Wing Commander (1999)

How bad is it? SF seriously hampered by low budget.
Should you see it? If it shows up on TV late at night, maybe.


HAIRLESS SPACE KITTIES


Having seen video games turned into films by Uwe Boll, this is not as bad - but that's damned faint praise. This is very much like "Starship Troopers" and also oddly like a dull WW II submarine film, as that was part of the plan (they even cast Jürgen Prochnow in a small role). The effects are very shoddy by 1999 standards and I'm told the story doesn't follow the video game world particularly well (I've never played the game). The acting is questionable, as Freddie Prinze Jr. and Saffron Burrows have always been lightweights and other good actors, like David Suchet, have minor roles. It has slow patches and a lot of errors anyone would catch - sound effects in the vacuum of space? Nice to have a convenient black hole to suck up whatever goes wrong, and aliens that are idiots. The plot, well, I forget the plot... I don't think it matters.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this one in a theater while vacationing in Steamboat Springs, CO, because the friend I was staying with managed the local cinema and I was too broke and underage to do anything better while he was at work. In hindsight, I probably should've just sat and watched the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it for Saffron Burrows. I watch everything she does and I'm always disappointed. She must remind me of someone I once dated... but probably more attractive.

    ReplyDelete