Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Six Thousand Dollar Nigger (1979)

aka Super Soul Brother

How bad is it? It's one of the worst-made blaxploitation films.
Should you see it? If you loved "Dolemite," you'll tolerate this. I give it a mild 'yes.'


This film stars Wildman Steve as a wino who's given a serum by a criminal doctor trying to create a thief immune to bullets. I've heard that this was meant to be a black Superman film that then got turned into a parody of The Six Million Dollar Man, but that doesn't explain the lack of continuity (some characters just appear or disappear). The cheapness is obvious, especially with a heavy safe made of cardboard. Much of the dialogue seems improvised and I think they were trying for a Rudy Ray Moore-type film with a less funny lead.

This was reviewed on Rupert Pupkin Speaks without the offensive title at http://www.rupertpupkinspeaks.com/2015/04/vinegar-syndrome-super-soul-brother-and.html He raised some questions about the whole "so bad it's good" idea and I figure it's time to address them.

The big question is: how much slack should you cut a film maker? Oscar Michaud made some films that were technically as terrible as any you'll see, but he's considered a pioneer, because he was one of the first black directors. Some people put their hearts and souls (and their life savings) into making a film that still screams its cheapness, but I give them a pass as long as what they make is entertaining. It's when a film has nothing at all going for it that you have to entertain yourself, usually by making fun of the travesty unspooling before your eyes. That led to "Mystery Science Theater 3000," which in turn led to an unending train of podcasters reviewing bad films; I have a problem with almost all of these, as they're about the hosts and their "aren't we funny" egos, rather than being about the film; one I like is "Dark Corners," as I usually learn something about the film I didn't know (they must really do their research).

I hate a bad film as much as anyone, but I obviously have a soft spot for the loveable losers who do the best they can, but still fall woefully short. I wouldn't have watched thousands of zero star films if I didn't think the few wonderfully cheesy obscurities are worth the time spent watching atrocities.

No comments:

Post a Comment